Willamette Towers

View the printable and official published version of these board minutes.

Willamette Towers Board Of Directors Regular Meeting

Thursday, August 25 2016

Board Members: Jeff Ryder, Giny Landgreen, Clyde Horn, Rick Lowen, Luther Greulich

BMC Personnel: Tom Weaverling, Diane Sollinger

Owners: Jeanne-Marie Moore, Jean Kern, Phyllis Fisher, Dan Solitz, Paula Rogers

Call to order 4:00 PM

Last minutes previously approved and published by board and posted

Owner’s Forum

Jeanne-Marie – Would like to suggest a decorative element be added to the area in the NE “yard” where the tree was removed to repair the view from unit 203.

Phyllis - Suggested installing benches and a table with chairs to make use of the space. She also suggested that we use the next vacant retail space as the office and make the current office an indoor common area for residents.

Resident on the 11th floor - reported seeing cockroaches in the unit.

Dan Solitz - Expressed his displeasure with the letter he got from BMC about charges for dryer vent cleaning that was “signed” by the Board but was not shown in the minutes as posted. [Discussion found that Jeff had authorized the letter sent by BMC without bringing it to the Board since the vent cleaning is a fire prevention issue and the cost was minimal per Board-authorized items. Jeff apologized to Dan and will speak with him individually.]

Committee Reports:

Emergency Preparedness Committee

Wants approval from the Board to send a letter to the State Insurance Commission asking if the OR Insurance “pool” is sufficiently monetized to cover a claim the size of ours (and others) if there is an earthquake. If the answer is no, we will not purchase earthquake insurance since, if getting money from our Insurance claim for catastrophic damages is not likely, money spent on such insurance is wasted.

MMRC

Dan Solitz suggested that the updates made to 2017-18 Reserve study/plan need to be finalized and published to owners so discussion can take place. Rick responded that all are available now on the website.

Treasurer’s Report

Cash balance at beginning of July = $6,310, end of July = 3,777.

Ten units are currently in arrears in payments. Many of them are behind due to the HOA change per Diane. None are over 90 days in arrears.

Transferred $12,000 back to reserves to complete paying back the “loan” to pay off the insurance bill from February.

Reserves balance at end of July = $101,818.

BMC Report

Flood insurance bill forwarded to Board and is due beginning of October.

Renter in #206 has accepted the raise in rent and will stay on.

All Action Grams are completed except for one that requires Board [Architecture & Design Committee] action to find a solution that will discourage use of the raised foundation ledge outside the office windows by loiterers who gather to drink and smoke there at night.

The walk-through found several spills of liquids either on the carpets in front of elevators or on the stairwell steps. Since brand new carpets are being installed in September, special reminders will be sent to all residents about being more careful with liquids. [Passed by acclamation]

The Quarterly Safety Inspection walk through that Tom performs is now open to residents who can come along so you can become more familiar with our building’s inner workings. Please see Tom for more details if you want to accompany him on the next inspection.

A list of residents who will need assistance in Emergencies is currently being compiled by Phyllis Fisher & will be checked by Tom.

Advance notice of planned building work will be compiled and published in the very near future as several days of maintenance work is expected in the near future. Tom and Diane will publish this.

Friday Chat-up Committee

These will continue through the holiday season to encourage community participation.

Next Chat-up will be on Sept. 16th from 500PM - 7:00PM in the office.

Old Business

Project updates

Window Policy document is still in editing mode but will be completed soon so it can go out to all owners for their input before it is enacted by vote. Main point holding up publishing is whether the operable windows that some residents have sealed up as safety measures must be made operable again or can remain inoperable without causing health, safety, or design issues as they have modified common property - i.e. the windows. Current thought is to have all windows in the building repaired so that they operate as originally designed. The holdup for that is the parts to repair our 50 year old windows are not readily available and the cost for custom windows and parts is prohibitive. Moved by Giny, 2nded by Luther, passed unanimously.

Laurel Hill retail space rent will remain the same for 1 more year per current market advice. Rent increase will be re-evaluated next year around this time.

New Business

September building water shutoff will be on 9/26, the last Monday in September starting at 9:00 AM and going no later than 3:00 PM. Contact Tom in the office with any questions.

Cockroaches have been reported in 3 units. Please take all usual measures to prevent their spread.

NEXT MEETING

BUDGET MEETING -Thursday, September 22nd at 4:00 PM.

REGULAR MEETING -Thursday, September 29th at 4:00 PM.

Meeting Adjourned at 5:01 PM