Hi! Where am I?

Willamette Towers

View the printable and official published version of these minutes.

Willamette  Towers  Board  Meeting

June 21, 2011

Board Members Present: David Ghelfi, President; Rick Lowen, Treasurer; Susan Connolly, Secretary; Dan Solitz; Kevin Mauseth

IPMG  Staff  Present: Angela Romero

Residents Present: Joanne Gulsvig, Esther Konop, Laura Romeyn

The meeting was called to order at 7:07p.m.

There were no member comments.

The minutes of the May 17, 2011 minutes were approved as corrected.

Old  Business:

Flood Elevation Certificate: The certificate has been received and forwarded to our insurance agent for review.  We expect to hear from our agent in two weeks.

Overdue Fines: Unit #205 has paid its fine and there are no overdue fines.  A question was raised about the WT policy on units having screen doors.  David stated that owners will be required to remove screen doors upon sale of units and no further screen doors will be allowed to be installed.

Elevator Issues:  Otis advised WT it was ordering materials to change the elevator lock-out and would be doing so in 2-3 weeks.  Dan advised the BOD that our contract with Otis had expired and suggested hiring an elevator consultant to give us guidance on elevator issues. IPMG was asked to review our contract and advise the BOD of what action is needed. After IPMG’s information is provided, the BOD will address the need for an elevator committee. Additionally, there was discussion about the continuing spills and stains on the elevator carpet.  No action was taken on the carpet versus return to vinyl question.

Visitor Parking Permits: Angela will make up & post example on bulletin board.

Power Wash Refund: Angela reported that Rhonda/IPMG had sent two letters to the company requesting a refund and/or a credit of our deposit against future work. The company has not responded.  The BOD instructed Angela to continue to contact the company in writing.

Reports:

Treasurer Rick Lowen reported:

There are several bills totaling $700 for plumbing repairs.  Angela reported that currently tenants will come to the office and report problems and she will call a plumber.  Rick said IPMG must be more diligent about determining if the plumbing is the problem of the HOA or the individual unit. Unless the problem is a pipe leaking in the wall, the bill belongs to the individual unit owner.

Policy for plumbing: Tenant calls the owner, owner calls the plumber, plumber bills the owner, owner sends bill to IPMG with verification from plumber that the problem lies in the wall pipes, and the approval for the payment comes from the BOD only.

During the last water shut off, five units required debris clean out.  Rick will work with Angela and she will ask the plumber(s) exactly what work was done on each unit.  There was also a question as to why Master Craft was called out three times to work on a leak on the 12th floor.  Angela will inquire and advise the BOD.

Overdue HOA Dues: Three units are now 90 days overdue. Letters have been sent out. WT Policy is unpaid dues results in liens on the subject property.

The Treasurers Report was accepted.

IPMG Report by Angela:

Incident Reports:

  • There was a report of a dog barking late at night.
  • A lock box was cut off the front of the building and discarded.
  • A resident was reported to be leaning out a window smoking.
  • A bike was found in the 5th floor hallway unattended, removed to the office, reclaimed by the owner and a reprimand issued to the owner.
  • Urine stains and odors were reported in the elevators on three occasions.

Green Committee Report by Joanne Gulsvig:

Committee met on 5/19/11.

Annette completed the master recycler program and wants to do a one time electronics recycling event at WT; possibly in September.

Tina is continuing to do a great job putting recycling questions and answers on the community bulletin board.

Susan is continuing to work on the possibility of replacing our washers and dryers with machines more economical and environmentally friendly.

Angela will ensure no more telephone books are delivered to WT.

The committee would like to explore replacing our lawn with low care, low water ground cover.

The Green Committee Report was accepted.

Architecture Committee Report by Kevin Mauseth:

It was necessary to hire a new dry wall installer as we discovered the old one was neither licensed nor bonded. The lobby work should be finished in two weeks. Marcy Beard, former board member, is the project manager, and all work should go through her.

Dan expressed concern that the quality of the lobby wall finish is not durable.  The walls can only be repaired and patched so much before they begin to look shoddy. Rick opined that residents should respect the property, that cameras would record problems and that fines could be levied for damages.

New Office Air Conditioner: The BOD approved this purchase in the past and Angela was asked to find an energy efficient model for less than $400.

The Architecture Committee Report was accepted.

New Business:

Lock Box Problem: “Parted-out” bicycles and lock-boxes have been left on the WT bicycle rack in the front of the building for months and, in some cases, years. These have been removed. WT spent $50 each to cut off three separate locks. After the removal, a tenant complained she had put a lockbox on the bike rack with a fob and key to her unit for her emergency use; she asked for $100 to replace the box removed. The tenant had placed the lockbox on the bike rack without WT permission or notice.

WT Lock Box policy: Lock boxes are for a) real estate agents and contractors only; b) must be registered with the WT office and c) are for short term use only.

Sprinklers: Angela reported it is time to contact the sprinkler repair firm to have them looked over and repaired, if needed.  The BOD approved this action.

Bicycles: Angela was directed to put up notices requiring residents to register their bicycles in the office.  In this way, we can determine which, if any, bicycles have been abandoned and dispose of them.  This will free up parking spots for more bikes.

Locks on Doors Next to Garage Gates: It was discussed that many residents do not have keys to these outside doors and the fobs do not work on them.  If residents were able to use them, perhaps fewer bikes would be brought through our new lobby.

Angela will investigate ways to make these doors more usable to residents.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Susan M. Connolly
Secretary